Production Operative (Grade 3)
- Type: Permanent
- Location: Nelson
- Time: Continental Shifts
- Department: Operations
- REF NO: KPOPS02
Key Purpose of Role:
- Under the leadership of your Supervisor, operate specific production machinery and systems within specified area of our manufacturing/production facility, maintaining targeted output with minimal interruption. Always working to required quality standards.
- Identify solutions to ‘short stops’ and work with the engineering teams providing detailed and accurate feedback to support prompt resolution to breakdowns, stoppages etc.
- Following Hygiene and Housekeeping standards/rules at all times to ensure we are complying with customer expectations at all times. Ensure all paperwork, quality and cleaning records are 100% accurate.
- Working as part of the shift team, demonstrating the company values and behaviours.
- Ensure the production department is Audit ready at all times
- Adhere to product specifications; use the site quality systems and procedures to safe guard product quality. Take immediate action escalating any concerns to your Supervisor
- Compliance to the Good Manufacturing Processes
- Ensure compliance to all Company Health and Safety standards at all times, always working in a health and safety conscious manner and aware of any issues that may arise from your own actions. Maintain a safe working environment by adhering to all safe operating procedures; recognising actual and potential hazards and taking the correct action/s to avoid accidents
- Ensure the processes and operations in your area are carried out effectively and at the appropriate time, maintaining a ‘Right First Time’ quality mind set in all operations
- Conduct your operating duties following specific SOPs and STMs for the specific task. Follow Company procedures for the correct disposal of waste ensuring a ‘clean as you go’ philosophy is adopted to maintain housekeeping standards in line with a food manufacturing environment.(GMP)
- Complete all records and paperwork for your specific work area, these must be legible and accurate (e.g. handover books, quality records, maintenance schedules).
- Conduct autonomous maintenance tasks on your machines, including asset cleaning and lubrication in line with the relevant SOP’s/STM’s
- To complete effective and accurate product and line changeovers to ensure the production plan is met in full and on time
- Follow the correct changeover procedures ensuring minimum time taken between stoppage and running at rated speed.
- Follow set production programmes, understanding the importance of running to plan, meeting our PVA targets and the potential impact on customer service
- Carry out correct start up and shutdown procedures for your specified area of work.
- Completion of project work as specified by the management team
- Carry out basic fault finding (first intervention) and rectification.
- Make adjustments to machine set up to improve performance, sharing all best practice with colleagues and other shifts.
- Prioritise responsibilities to ensure housekeeping and hygiene standards are at an acceptable standard before other duties, including maintenance, are carried out.
- Throughout your shift it is expected that you will communicate regularly with your line colleagues to ensure the line is running at optimum speed and balanced to reduce and avoid ‘build back’ or delays from underperforming equipment wherever that is within your complete line.
- To collaboratively work with the warehousing functions
Knowledge & Experience:
- Be able to demonstrate a competent understanding and awareness of a FMCG environment and the competence to lead a team effectively
- To have a thorough working knowledge plant, machinery and associated equipment for your work area
- Can identify opportunities for action
- Can motivate a team ensuring maximum performance output is achieved
- Previous experience of working within a similar fast moving consumer goods department
- IT literate in Word, Excel, warehouse; management systems
- Manual Handling Equipment licences as required for the role
- Operation of electronic control systems, HDMI, PLC interface etc.
- Ability to understand short stop causes and implement corrective actions.
- Basic knowledge of LEAN principles – Standard Work (SOPs), 5s to support your areas of work.
- Exposure to basic problem solving skills and/or continuous improvement teams.
- Minimum 2 years’ operating of manufacturing and/or production packaging equipment
- SAP User
- Basic Food Hygiene
Cott U.K. produces for the wholesale, food service, catering, vending, and convenience channels as well as contract manufacturing for brand owners. In addition, Cott U.K. has a range of its own brands such as Emerge, SUSO and Mr. Freeze.